The UEFA Champions League is back in action this week with a new round of games, and on Tuesday at the Estadio da Luz, Benfica will square off against Simone Inzaghi’s Inter Milan team in a crucial match.
Inter Milan vs. Benfica Preview
Inter Milan, who are now in fifth position in Serie A, have not played well this year. The Nerazzurri will want to step it up this week after being held to a 1-1 tie by Salernitana in their previous match.
On the other hand, Benfica is now atop the Primeira Liga standings and has played exceptionally this year. Last week, the host team suffered a humiliating 2-1 loss at the hands of FC Porto and will need to recover in this match.
Inter Milan vs. Benfica Key Numbers and Head-to-Head
- With a winning record of three victories and one tie in the four meetings between the two teams, Inter Milan has a strong record against Benfica.
- The lone European Cup match between Benfica and Inter Milan occurred in 1965, as Benfica fell to Helenio Herrera’s illustrious Nerazzurri team by a score of 1-0.
- This season, Benfica defeated Juventus in both of their group games in the UEFA Champions League; prior to this run, they had only triumphed twice in 11 games against Italian opponents overall.
- Inter Milan’s Simone Inzaghi recorded two clean sheets against FC Porto in the Round of 16 and won both games by a score of 1-0 despite being outplayed in terms of predicted goals in both legs.
- For the first time since their 1989–90 season, Benfica hopes to win five straight games in the European Cup.
Inter Milan vs. Benfica Prediction
Inter Milan has struggled with consistency this year despite having a powerful offense on occasion. The Nerazzurri have played it safe in Serie A and will try to make up for it this season in Europe.
This season, Benfica has excelled in the European arena, and they are determined to cause another upset in this matchup. This week’s game between the two clubs could end in a draw because they are currently tied.
Prediction: Inter Milan 1-0 Benfica