The UEFA Champions League is back in action this week with a new round of games, starting on Wednesday when Chelsea squares off against Carlo Ancelotti’s Real Madrid team at the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.
Chelsea vs. Real Madrid: A Preview
Chelsea has had a difficult season and is presently ranked 11th in the Premier League. The away team will have to put in a lot of effort to win this game after suffering a shocking 1-0 loss to Wolverhampton Wanderers over the weekend. Real Madrid, on the other hand, is currently in second place in the La Liga standings and has been in decent form this year. Los Blancos have much to prove this week after losing to Villarreal 3-2 in their previous match.
Los Blancos versus Chelsea Key Numbers and Head-to-Head
- For the third consecutive year, Real Madrid and Chelsea will square off in the UEFA Champions League knockout stages. Each team won the competition once.
- The lowest loss percentage of any team that has faced Real Madrid at least five times is held by Chelsea, who has only lost one of its seven European games versus Los Blancos.
- In their last nine two-leg knockout matches against English opponents, including their most recent three, Real Madrid has prevailed.
- In their last nine away UEFA Champions League games against Spanish opponents, Chelsea has only lost once, and they have won their last three such contests.
- In their last 30 home UEFA Champions League knockout games, Real Madrid has scored at least once, with their lone exception coming against Barcelona in 2011.
Prediction for Real Madrid vs. Chelsea
This season, Chelsea has been in atrocious form and is in desperate need of a boost. The Blues will need to play their best in this match after losing their first game under Frank Lampard’s second management.
Despite playing at their absolute best against Barcelona, Real Madrid lost badly again over the weekend. However, the Spanish giants are now the superior squad and are in a superior position going into this match.
Real Madrid will likely defeat Chelsea 3–1.