On Saturday, January 14, Real Sociedad will play host to Athletic Bilbao in the Basque derby of La Liga at the Reale Arena.
The home team has won the last three of their last four league games without losing. In their previous game, Sociedad defeated Almeria 2-0 thanks to goals from David Silva and Alexander Sorloth in the second half. With the victory, they increased their margin over fourth-place Villarreal in the standings to four points. In contrast, Bilbao has won three straight games while drawing the last two. On Monday, Osasuna held them at home to a scoreless draw.
Athletic Bilbao vs. Real Sociedad Key Numbers and Head-to-Head
- 150 of their 171 matches have taken place in the Spanish premier division between the two Basque rivals. Visitors have a 69–57 advantage.
- In nine of their last 10 home games against Bilbao in all competitions, Sociedad has gone undefeated.
- In five of the hosts’ last six meetings versus Bilbao across competitions, there have been fewer than 2.5 goals scored.
- With just two losses and six victories in their last 11 meetings, Sociedad has been the superior team lately versus Athletic.
- Their two most recent encounters at Sociedad finished in a tie.
- Recently, both sides have played strong defense. While Bilbao has done so in five of their past six games, Sociedad has preserved a clean sheet in each of their last four contests.
- While Bilbao is four places and six points below the hosts in the rankings, they are 24-23 overall and have a stronger defensive record, having allowed 14 goals as opposed to 17 for Sociedad.
Athletic Bilbao vs. Real Sociedad Prediction
Although Sociedad hasn’t lost against Bilbao in their last five home contests, they haven’t managed a clean sheet in their previous six encounters. This season, the hosts have scored in all but one of their La Liga home games, so the pattern should continue. As a result of their winless road record since September, Bilbao may struggle against Sociedad in what may be a fiercely contested match. Although the hosts have drawn their last two home contests, they are hoping to continue their winning streak. A low-scoring tie may result given the two clubs’ current performances.
Real Sociedad and Athletic Bilbao are predicted to tie.